Print | Close
Standard 9 Lesson Plans

Expand All | Collapse All

TABLE OF CONTENTS
POPULATION
// WORLD POPULATION
// CHINA'S POPULATION
  • China's Population Growth: Growing, Growing, Graphing! [ThirteenEd Online]
    For grades 7-12. This lesson plan combines geography and mathematics. Resources include websites with current and archived population data, government websites, and mathematical websites with interactive graphs comparing linear and exponential functions. The Population Reference Bureau reading China's Population: New Trends and Challenges [PDF] (on the main page of Standard 9) can be used as another resource this lesson plan.

  • Ethnic Minority Groups in China [SPICE, Stanford University]
    Although approximately 92 percent of China's population is classified as ethnically "Han," the remaining 8% comprise some 55 other ethnic groups (also called "minority nationalities"). This multi-faceted series of lesson plans (available at the SPICE website for purchase) looks especially at the Hui, Tibetans, Mongols, and Miao minority nationalities.

  • Population Issues in China and India [National Geographic]
    For grades 9-12. For comparative purposes, it is useful to look at issues in China and India, only the second member of the world's 1 billion club, and the country most likely to surpass China in population by the middle of this century.

  • Perspectives on Aging in Contemporary China [China Institute]
    Two lesson plans with supporting materials, including images.

  • The Urban Explosion [Journey to Planet Earth, PBS]
    Lesson plan examining the exploding urban population in Mexico City, Istanbul, Shanghai, and New York City.

  • Land of Plenty, Land of Want [Journey to Planet Earth, PBS]
    Lesson plan examining the problem of how world’s growing population can be fed, without hurting the environment. Covers Zimbabwe, France, China, and the United States
// JAPAN'S POPULATION
  • Comparative Geography: Japan and the USA — Part I and Part II [The Ohio State University]
    These two lesson plans examine the ways in which the population of Japan and the United States are influenced by the nature of their geography.
      • Additional Questions for Consideration, Related to the Comparative Size of Japan's Population:
        • What can you say about the relative sizes of the United States and Japan?
        • How does Japan's population density compare with other nations?

  • Social Fabric of Japan: Case Studies of Selected Minority Groups [SPICE, Stanford University]
    This lesson plan (available at the SPICE website for purchase) examines the structure and makeup of Japanese society, pointing out that even though Japan is not as diverse as the United States or any European country, there are minorities in Japan.

  • Research Exercise: Comparative Size of Japan's Population [Asia for Educators]
    Use this page for research on the exercise questions: Economy and Trade: Japan: Internet Resources
MIGRATION
// MAPPING THE HUMAN JOURNEY
  • Genographic: Mapping the Human Journey [National Geographic]
    For grades 9-12. The first in a series of lessons exploring migration, genetic markers, markers in context, and Genographic's legacy; students will explore the concept of migration from an historical perspective.

  • It's Your Move: Exploring Culture and Immigration [The New York Times Learning Network]
    For grades 6-12. In this lesson, students learn about the creation of a German village in South Korea for returning emigrants. They then examine other cases of migration and relocation from modern world history.

Print || Close

Back to top