ONLINE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT on EAST ASIA
Asia for Educators continues to offer new ways for educators to enhance their background understanding of East Asian history, art, and literature and to discuss ways of conveying new insights in the classroom. Those interested in earning Professional Development Hours for their participation in these programs may do so.
Past programs include courses, video presentations, and book groups – all asynchronous. Programs are free, and approximately 3000 teachers are alumni of our online programs at www.asiaforeducators.org. (Login required; creating an account is free and easy). Video presentations – as well as some courses and book groups – are archived there for reference. Professional Development Hours will remain available for the Video Presentations only (see directions on the site).
The videos will soon additionally be available without login on our new video page here.
Other Opportunities through NCTA
Our partner, the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia/NCTA (www.nctasia.org) lists many more learning and professional development opportunities for teachers, including national online and state-based, face-to-face programs.
TIPPS/ Today in International Politics Speakers Series
- Join AFE/Columbia specialists and others speaking on China in the TIPPS/ Today in International Politics Speakers Series designed with AP-Comparative Government teachers in mind but open to all high school teachers and students interested in government. Register online. All programs on Zoom at 8:00 p.m. ET.
- TIPSS Website
- October 12: Human Rights with Andrew Nathan (Columbia)
- November 16: Interest Groups with Jessica Teets (U of Kansas)
- December 7: Women’s Rights with Faye Hu Xiao (U of Kansas)
- January 11: Current Events with Xiaobo Lu (Columbia)/ Jack Zhang (U of Kansas)
- February 15: Economics with Xiaobo Lu Columbia)/ Raj Bhala (U of Kansas)
- March 15: Media with Dan Chen (U of Kansas)
- April 5: Revolutions/Terror/Natural Resources TBD
Coming from AFE in 2021-2022!
AFE will offer live presentations that provide “walk-throughs” of our online modules and discussion of our other materials to support in curriculum planning. These will:
- Focus on certain topics in East Asia
- Include background by specialists and master teachers familiar with AFE’s materials
- Conclude with Q&A
- Stay available as archived programs
- Provide professional development hours upon completion of a teaching reflection form